We're supporting older New Zealanders to live longer, healthier, and increasingly independent lives.
- Budget 2016 includes $41 million to support the SuperGold Card scheme – increasing mobility and providing more certainty for more than 670,000 cardholders across New Zealand.
- We've increased New Zealand Superannuation far ahead of inflation since we took office. Since 2008 the married rate is up by $249 a fortnight (34 per cent increase) and the single rate up by $162 a fortnight.
- There are now 8,000 businesses across New Zealand offering SuperGold Card discounts – up from 876 in 2008.
- ACC is investing $31 million over four years to support new and existing initiatives aimed at preventing falls and resulting injuries.
- A record 167,188 elective surgeries were delivered last year – 50,000 more than in 2009. Of those 70,130 were for over 65s, which is 42 per cent.
- We're supporting seniors’ health by increasing funding for aged residential care by $250 million while in Government.
- We've invested $76.1 million in Budget 2015 to improve hospice and palliative care.
- We've increased the rest-home bed subsidy by $10 million a year from 1 October 2014—a 5 per cent increase.
“The Government is committed to supporting older New Zealanders and enabling them to lead active, secure, and meaningful lives.”
– Maggie Barry, Minister for Seniors