New Zealand’s General Election is on 23 September. Even though you may reside overseas, you are eligible to vote - and we urge you to do so!

Every Party Vote counts. Elections can be decided by just a small majority of votes, so casting your vote overseas for National will play a huge role in maintaining a strong National Government that is delivering for New Zealanders. 

Make your voice heard by voting anytime from 6 September.


Here are four easy ways you can help National win the 2017 General Election

  1. Check you are enrolled to vote here - if you aren’t enrolled, but are eligible, please  enrol to vote now.
  2. Get your voting papers – either download them from the Electoral Commission website (from 6 September) or have them sent to your current address overseas. Hard copy voting papers will be sent out by the Electoral Commission from the start of September, but you need to request them.
  3. Cast your vote – either by emailing or posting your ballot paper back to the Electoral Commission or by voting in person at your nearest Diplomatic Post/Embassy.
  4. Encourage your family and friends to vote like and share our Facebook posts, join our mailing list to get updates or donate to help our campaign.


Eligibility as an Overseas Voter: 

If you are overseas, you are eligible to enrol to vote in the New Zealand General Election if: 

  1. You are 18 years of age or older;
  2. You have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some point in your life;

 and either:

  1. You are a New Zealand Citizen who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past 3 years, or;
  2. You are a New Zealand Permanent Resident who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past 12 months.

Note: Your Electorate will be the one you last lived for a month or more.


You can Enrol:

  1. Online Here.
  2. By picking up an enrolment form from any NZ Diplomatic Post.
  3. Calling +64 9 909 4182 and asking to be sent an enrolment form.
  4. Asking a registered voter to enrol you on your behalf.


Voting from Overseas: 

Voting papers are not automatically sent to voters who are overseas.

Voters who are overseas will be able to obtain their voting paper from two and a half weeks before Election Day in one of the following ways:

  1. Download voting papers from the Electoral Commission website
  2. Apply to the Electoral Commission for postal voting papers
  3. Vote in person at an overseas post

You can ask now to be sent postal voting papers. These voting papers will be sent from New Zealand at the beginning of September, about three weeks before Election Day. To ask for postal voting papers, you'll need to provide the following information:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Email and/or phone number
  • New Zealand address where you are enrolled to vote
  • Overseas address where you want your voting papers to be sent in the mail.

Please send this information by:


You can return your voting papers:

Voters who are overseas can return their voting papers in one of the following ways:

  • Scan or photograph and upload their voting papers
  • Fax their voting papers to the Electoral Commission (+64 4 494 2300)
  • Post their voting papers to the Electoral Commission: Overseas Voting, Electoral Commission, PO Box 3220, Wellington 6140, NEW ZEALAND
  • Post or hand deliver their voting papers to their nearest overseas post

Voting papers returned to the Electoral Commission by upload or fax must be received no later than 7pm, Saturday 23 September (New Zealand time).

Voting papers returned to the Electoral Commission by post must be postmarked no later than Thursday, 21 September and received at the Electoral Commission or at your Returning Officer's headquarters by noon, Wednesday 27 September.

Voting papers returned to an overseas post must be received before the close of voting at that post, usually 4pm (local time) Friday 22 September (subject to local holidays).  Please check with your nearest overseas post for their closing time.  Overseas posts are not open on weekends or public holidays.

If you have any further questions about enrolling or voting from overseas: