Media Releases

Over 750 victims already benefiting from safer homes

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 09:15
Justice

Tougher locks and new alarms are just some of the practical measures helping 754 family violence victims stay safe in their homes in the first year of a new programme, Justice Minister Amy Adams has announced.

“For hundreds of family violence victims, moving on with your life no longer means having to move out of your own home, thanks to the success of the National Home Safety Service,” says Ms Adams.

“Too often, victims are forced to move house to escape violent perpetrators, uprooting children and disrupting families, schooling and routines. The NHSS programme means homes can be upgraded with new security systems and repairs so victims can remain in their homes and stay safe.

“In the first 12 months, 237 homes have been made safer. This has made a real difference to 237 adult victims and 517 children, who have been able to remain in their homes with a significantly reduced risk of serious physical violence.”

The Government teamed up with the National Collective of Independent Women’s Refuges to extend the service in July last year as part of a three-year $3.6 million contract.

“With the programme now fully up and running nationwide, over the next two years we expect to be able to help a further 2000 family violence victims receive practical help to stay in their homes,” says Ms Adams.

“This includes replacing glass panelled doors with solid doors, installing security lights and monitored personal alarms, replacing locks and repairing broken windows, and putting victims in touch with other agencies that can help.”

The National Home Safety Service is one part of the Government’s plan to reduce family violence and keep victims safe, as part of the cross-agency work programme overseen by the Ministerial Group on Family Violence and Sexual Violence.