Law & Order
National has a proud history and track record of delivering strong effective policies which reduce crime, improve community safety and help break the cycle of inter-generational family violence and abuse.
You can view our full Law & Order Policy Factsheet here, or click on the policy tiles below.
National is the party of law and order. We will ensure New Zealand is a safe place to live, work and raise a family.
That means National will make sure victims are at the heart of our justice system, offenders are held to account, and Social Investment is used to tackle the causes of crime.
- Implementing our Social Investment Approach across the justice system by setting clear targets to reduce offending and address the areas of most need.
- Significantly expand mental health facilities in policing such as the Watch House Nurse Programme and the Mental Health Co-response initiative.
- Change the Victim Notification Register to make it opt-out rather than opt-in.
- Tightening border controls through increased searching of containers and mail to prevent drugs coming into the country.
- Expanding the use of specialist courts, such as drug and alcohol courts, which help offenders deal with their addiction issues.
- Institute a range of policies to target gangs and the harm they cause in communities.
- Introducing the Clean Start policy to help newly-released prisoners move to a new community.
Our policy is simple: victims should get justice and criminals should be held accountable for the harm they cause, while also being rehabilitated into contributing members of our society.