We put victims at the heart of our criminal justice system because we understand that, through no fault of their own, they are often left with deep physical and mental scars.
National is committed to returning to using the Social Investment approach in the justice sector. This means we will use the tools of Government to target the causes of crime as well as responding forcefully to the perpetrators of crime.
National will focus Government responses on clear targets to reduce crime and re-offending, using data to help identify areas of greatest need, and on making New Zealand a safer place.
- Ensure that the Social Investment approach is implemented across the justice sector with clear targets established to reduce offending and address the areas of most need within the justice system.
- Set a target for sexual violence offences to be dealt with within 12 months.
- Introduce a new category of Young Serious Offenders to give Police more tools in dealing with teenage and young adult offending. We know the best chance we have to prevent crime is stopping people becoming offenders in the first place. This means a targeted approach early-on to stop young people spiraling into a lifetime of crime.
- Expand the Integrated Service Response initiative to provide greater access to support for family violence.
- Change the Victim Notification Register to make it opt-out rather than opt-in.
Do you like this page?