The National Party believes our unique native species and natural environment are some of our most precious taonga. We will invest in protecting and preserving them so that all New Zealanders can experience and enjoy them.
You can view our full Conservation Policy Factsheet here, or click on the policy tiles below.
We know the value that New Zealanders place on protecting our unique flora and fauna, and preserving our globally recognised natural environment. The principle of conservation, of protecting what we have and improving it for future generations, has always been a core value of the National Party and we will continue to embody it.
National will take a balanced, long-term and pragmatic approach to conservation to ensure that all New Zealanders – both here today and future generations – will have the opportunity to experience and enjoy our incredible natural environment.
- Re-affirm our commitment to a Predator Free New Zealand by 2050, and fully resource efforts to keep us on track towards this goal.
- Begin work to establish two new National Parks – one on the Coromandel Peninsula and one in the Catlins, and build two new Great Walks.
- Provide $15 million to DoC for predator free ecological sanctuaries and breeding programmes.
- Recognise iwi have concerns and work with them to progress the Kermadec Ocean Sanctuary, while exploring options for the establishment of new marine reserves.
- Ensure New Zealanders are able to continue to enjoy access to recreational fishing, whitebaiting and hunting.
- Utilise expertise from the professional and recreational hunting community, including the Game Animal Council, in the control
Do you like this page?